Competence demonstration is shown mainly in the real work environments. As a
working life representative you have an important role planning the competence demonstration and assessing it. Compare the competence demonstrated by the student to the assessment criteria and the assessment scale.
- Vocational qualification: approved competence in the qualification units of vocational qualifications is assessed on a scale of 1–5.
- Further and specialist vocational qualifications: qualification units are assessed on a scale of pass or fail based on competence
The competence assessment of the vocational qualification units is implemented and the assessment decided on by two assessors appointed by the education provider. One of the assessors is a pedagogically competent and qualified teacher and the other assessor is a representative of working life.
Familiarising with the qualification criteria
The assessors must have sufficient professional skills and competence in light of the qualification awarded or area of expertise as well as sufficient knowledge of the assessment process. The teacher familiarises any assessors representing working life with the qualification requirements and the assessment process.
As an assessor
- you have sufficient professional skills and competence in light of the qualification awarded or area of expertise.
- you have sufficient knowledge of the assessment process.
- you have considered whether there are any grounds that would disqualify you from serving as an assessor.
- the teacher has familiarized you with the qualification requirements and the assessment process.
Give the student the opportunity to assess their own performance. Self-assessment does not affect competence assessment or grades.
Deciding on assessment
Agree on and organise the assessment meeting. Familiarise yourself with the documents and material accumulated. Assess the student’s competence together with the teacher. Make the assessment decision together with the teacher assessor and provide grounds for it. Explain the grounds for the assessment to the student together with the teacher assessor.
Review and rectification of the assessment
Assessments are reviewed and rectified in accordance with instructions issued by the Finnish National Agency for Education. Together with the teacher assessor, make a decision on reviewing the assessment without undue delay.
Provide the student with instructions on review and rectification of the assessment.